Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Day in the Life...


I've always found these "day in the life" posts entertaining...maybe because deep down we're all a little bit nosy, aren't we? :) Anyway, this is how we spent the very last day of my maternity leave. In the interest of being honest, the majority of my leave looked incredibly different than this. It took me until about week 5 or 6 to consistently get dressed for the day and remember to brush my teeth before 4pm so I doubt anyone was really interested in those details! I'm now done with my first week back to work so things already look much different and I'm sure you'll hear all about that in a future post!

Wake up call! Back to sleep pretty easily after a quick feeding and little bit longer snuggle. (Psst...we did this same thing at 2am too!) No photo right's still dark and I am not waking baby up with a flash. I'm now up for the day, but enjoying laying in bed watching some ESPN shows with my husband. Pardon the Interruption and Mike and Mike are both on and I actually enjoy those guys. 

I get up, make myself breakfast and coffee to enjoy while pumping and watching some HGTV. Mornings with no work (so weekends before maternity leave) are always what I consider "me time". Today I eventually do a few sit-ups and walk in place for my really light version of a workout. This is a recent development for sure...I got a Jawbone Up24 for Christmas and it's made me a lot more aware of my activity level. I do my hair, practicing this easy technique on my day 2 hair. It looks better on freshly shampooed hair, but that's just not happening many days. :) I actually paint my toes too, something that hasn't happened in almost 3 months!

Jacob wakes up so we talk a little bit, walk around the house a little bit, then he gets fed, a diaper change, and in his clothes for the day. Then we play!

Fussiness kicks in, a sign it's already naptime. We head upstairs to cuddle and rock a bit and sure enough his eyelids start to droop. He fights it a bit so I quietly read him a book, then we turn on the white noise and just slowly rock some more.

I put Jacob down in his rock n play and he stays asleep. I head downstairs with the baby monitor and make myself a smoothie...I'm starving! I'm currently hooked on one with a banana, a clementine, frozen raspberries, Greek yogurt with honey, and pomegranate juice. I decide to be responsible and take care of some bills before propping up my feet and catching up on some of my favorite blogs.

Jacob is awake so I down what's left of my smoothie and go get him.  He's hungry again, then we play some more. Daddy comes home for lunch in the middle of tummy time and we hang out with him for awhile. He's extra attentive today...maybe he's feeling a tad bit sentimental that today is the end of getting to see his son every day at lunch? 

After nursing and some snuggling Jacob is back to sleep. I desperately want to just hold him while he sleeps, but I know that sleeping in his crib is good for him to get used to and is better sleep for him. Hoping I'll reap the rewards by having a happy baby to hang out with tonight. Plus I'm starving again! :) Lunchtime for me and I'm trying this smoked salmon sandwich from the Runner's World cookbook he ordered. Pretty good!

Jacob's awake and the hiccups I hear tell me that he's not putting himself back to sleep. I use that as an excuse to bring him downstairs and hold him the rest of the afternoon while I get hooked on a show about couples who agreed to participate in an experiment in which they were matched with someone based on compatibility and they get married at first sight. Crazy interesting to me and I am hooked!

After my husband gets done with his workout it's time for me to give up Jacob to let daddy take a turn at baby duty so I can make dinner. Friday night is pizza night - that's my specialty and I am long overdue on a turn to make dinner!

Time to start the going to bed process for Jacob. Lots of up and downstairs, an extra diaper change, and what feels like a lot of time feeding him but he finally falls soundly asleep at about 8:45.

I'm tired enough that I could go to sleep too but I think I earned myself a small glass of wine tonight. My husband and I talk about what we want to do this weekend - mostly stuff on our "to do" list, but we talk about what we want to cook and maybe venturing to our favorite bar tomorrow to watch a basketball game at noon. I get some stuff done for the blog, then the internet stops working. After two trips upstairs to try to reset I give up because I'm tired and just decide to focus on that glass of wine. :)

Time to crash. Baby boy doesn't care that it's the weekend so I'll be ready for the wake up call tomorrow morning!


  1. Oh, I love reading these - and funny enough, I did an update of mine, to be posted tomorrow! Last year I recorded a day when Hendrik was 3 months old, and it's so cool to look back and remember those little details - and to compare how different things are now! You'll be glad you did this after a year flies by and you can hardly believe he was ever this little.

    Nice that you get that morning me time! He seems like an amazing sleeper (Hendrik barely napped at that age... I'd get like 1/2 hour at a time to do things, though I can't really complain since he slept through the night really early). How fun that daddy can come home for lunch too - that's a nice way to break up the baby duty day. And we love Friday night homemade pizza too :)

  2. Oh my goodness, your child sleeps so much better and so much longer than mine! And he's younger! That's it... I'm giving baby girl a talking to when she wakes up!