FullSizeRender

pages

HOME ABOUT ME 2 BUDGET

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Weekend Wrap Up

race weekend


L to R top row: checking out the water temperature the day before / checking out the roller coasters on the drive through Cedar Point

L to R middle row: full triathlon group preparing for the race to start / my momma and I catching up while watching for my husband to bike back by us / biking by the 100 mile marker

L to R bottom row: my niece and I enjoying our virgin daiquiris while taking a spectator break  / my niece learned how to spell my name over the weekend and also drew me this beautiful portrait :) / crossing the finish line!


This weekend was race weekend for my husband. It was the big one that he had been training for since January! I think I've referenced it here but never said too much about it, but the race trained for was a full triathlon - a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike, ending with a 26.2 mile run. He's crazy. And I totally love it! :) My husband is competitive, incredibly dedicated to the physical training involved and is probably the most mentally tough person I know. Characteristics I hope he passes on to our son because he sure as hell won't pick any of that up from me! 

The race started and finished at Cedar Point, which is close to where my husband grew up. That made the logistics of it much easier, not to mention that because we were close to home he had plenty of people showing up to cheer for him along the way. His parents, sister, and our 5 year old niece were there all day (our niece is a trooper for lasting that long just watching a race!), one of his aunts camped out along the run route, my mom made the hour drive over to watch the bike with us, and even my brother and his girlfriend made that same drive later in the day to watch some of the run. 

With a time of 11 hours, 40 minutes, and 15.296 seconds it was a long day but he did great! It took until pretty far into the run for us to be able to tell that he was really being tested, but he survived and he's already talking about possibly doing another one in a couple of years. I'm feeling pretty thankful to get to be there and see him experience that huge accomplishment, especially after seeing the hours of training he put in each week! Also thankful for the extra days added to our weekend (Friday and Monday off was definitely necessary!) to spend some additional time together. So now that it's Tuesday, I guess bring on the work week!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to your husband on his race! That is so awesome! I don't think I could do a triathlon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I had never heard of a more exhausting, more tiresome, longer race than this. Definitely a huge challenge and your husband sounds like a champ. Huge Congrats to him. I cannot even run a mile =P. But your post also makes me miss Cedar Points. I love their rides.

    ReplyDelete